Subject: Re: Image map/matching colors
From: "J. David Johnson" <[email-masked]>
To: Brian Dady <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 1995 07:02:16 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 27 Feb 1995, Brian Dady wrote:

> 1.  Is it possible to match the colors this way, or is it necessary to use a
>     transparency map (or something) so I am actually just mapping the letters
>     themselves (and not the image background color).
> 
> 2.  Is there an easy way to determine the required image map size required for
>     a given surface or must I continue to use the 'trial-and-error' method?
>     This iterative process requires repeatedly adjusting the image size and
>     offset, then rendering to see if the letters line up properly beside the
>     buttons (very time-consuming).
> 
> 	-Brian  ([email-masked])
> 

Brian,

One of the quickest ways to "match-up" textures is to render 1 button in 
layout, solid white, with the camera far away and zoomed in tight.

This allows a nearly undistorted (non-fish-eye) view of the face of the 
polygon.  This is your template for creating your image maps.

Give up on trying to match colors, it's not worth the time. In whatever 
paint program you are using, just use the same background info on your 
buttons and that should do it. (I.E. use same marble on buttons as 
background)  Hope this helps...

J. David - Video GT